Re: Where can I get a complete list of all SQL Hints?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 04:45:30 GMT

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> I checked OTN and I checked metalink and I cannot find every SQL
> hint(including undocumented ones) located in the same place with a
> brief explanation for each.
>
> does anyone have a link to a list?

The undocumented ones - no. I'm not sure I'd want to see that published in any case, as 1) they tend to be unstable/experimental or 2) they tend to be deprecated. Of course, there are people who like sky-diving without a parachute as well, right?

The other ones ... Since you don't want to specify a version, I'll give a method of fnding the info in 9.2 and you can apply it to the version of your choice - with appropriate brain-manipulation as necessary to translate between versions .....

  1. Go to the documentation library online in http://otn.oracle.com
  2. Search on 'hint'
  3. Select 'specifying'
  4. Open the "Oracle9i Database Performance Tuning Guide and Reference Release 2 (9.2)" document (doc #A96533)
  5. Go to chapter 5, titled 'Optimizer Hints'
  6. Go to section titled 'Using Optimizer Hints'
  7. Read the approproiate subsection as given in this list:

Optimizer hints can be categorized as follows:

Hints for Optimization Approaches and Goals Hints for Access Paths
Hints for Query Transformations
Hints for Join Orders
Hints for Join Operations
Hints for Parallel Execution
Additional Hints

If you want, we could probably read the section for you as well.

/Hans Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 23:45:30 CDT