Re: Oracle 9i Init Param Not Working Per Documentation

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 04:30:37 GMT

Are you exceeding SGA_MAX_SIZE - that will give an error message! (Of course, if you happen to publish the error message when you ask for help, we won't have to guess .... but that's no fun, is it?)

Remember, SHARE_POOL_SIZE + LARGE_POOL_SIZE + DB_CACHE_SIZE + sum(DB_nK_CACHE_SIZE where n=2/4/8/16/32/(^default) ) can not exceed SGA_MAX_SIZE. My apologies for any mis-spelling in the above ... going from memory here and basically too lazy to re-read the Admin docco (A96521, page 2-38) on your behalf.

I suggest you set up Enterprise Manager (OEM) to do this kind of change. And make sure you use the OEM that comes with 9.2.x

OEM has a very useful set of screens - the one under Instance > configuration > Memory would show the exact variants and the combinations. It is very useful for people who (can not)/(do not have the time)/(forgot what they)/(etc.) read the manuals.

/Hans