Re: error ora-01466 and partitions

From: Steve Adams <steve.adams_at_ixora.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:57:18 +1000

Hi Frédéric,

Oracle's read-committed transaction isolation model requires that changes
to the data since a transaction's snapshot SCN must not be visible to that
transaction. Similarly, changes to the metadata of referenced tables must
also not be visible. Otherwise, you could for example exchange partitions
and thus introduce data to the table that was committed before the snapshot
SCN, but that ought not to be read for the query because it was not part of
that table at the snapshot SCN. Similarly, you might have dropped partitions
that ought to have been read for the query. This error prevents such wrong
results from being returned. It has to be based on the SCNs alone, because
Oracle cannot tell in retrospect which partitions were affected by the metadata change(s), and whether they would have been needed for the query.
You know that, but Oracle does not (at least, not in a way that's useful).

@   Regards,
@   Steve Adams
@   http://www.ixora.com.au/          For DBAs
@   http://www.christianity.net.au/   For all