Re: What's wrong with SQL Server?

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 22:31:30 +0100

> > My boss is mumbling about using MS SQL Server for a new application at
> > our place. Can he be serious?
> >
> > We've run Oracle since about version 5 !!
>
> from purely selfish career perspective.... SQL Server jobs generally
> pay less money. You always have to look out for yourself.....
>
> I think the reason that they pay less is that the vast majority of SQL
> Server implementations are not truly high end. You cannot run a truly
> high end system on Windows. Since the projects are not as complex you
> dont need to pay for that quality of people.
>
> It also appears that in the guise of being easier to use SQL Server
> apparently has less flexibility. This means that the amount of time it
> takes to learn SQL Server and get good at it is less. Since its easier
> its not going to pay as well. Now to an employer that is great. To an
> employee.... its not so great.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. If, as a professional, one is asked for a recommendation, IMHO one should supply the recommendation which is best for the company/client; not the one which happens to best serve one's own interest.

In any case, this is also self-serving in the long run; since they come to trust and appreciate you.

Regards,
Paul Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 16:31:30 CDT