Re: Can OEM list the Nodes folder in terms of IP address, instead of Hostname

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 09:02:34 +0100

"Jeffrey Yee" <jeffyee_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ec4cec95.0306121831.3a6b2fe3_at_posting.google.com...

> Relocating a database might also involve changes to the hostname. But
> that is beside the point. Customer prefer to see the IP address for
> some reason, and it would be a shame that OEM cannot cater for such
> trivia stuff. It's just the label of the node.

What happens if you don't have a DNS entry for that server at all? I haven't tried this but it maybe that OEM would revert to using the IP Address in this case.

> > >Lastly, I also have problem with OS authentication db using OEM. How
> > >do I login into OEM as SYSDBA, if OEM is running on Win2000 server?
> > >The only OS user that has SYSDBA privilege on HP-UX is Oracle, and the
> > >remote_os_authent parameter is set to false.
> >
> > Just grant any ordinary oracle user SYSDBA privilege. That's all. Also
> > if remote_login_passwordfile has been set correctly SYS can also login
> > as SYSDBA. This is a non-issue which has already been dealt with.
>
> My customer still prefer the remote_login_passwordfile=none, means
> using OS authentication. Under this circumstances, I can't grant
> sysdba to another user, because there is no password file to write to.

As you are using a repository you don't login to OEM as sysdba, you login to OEM as an administrator, which is an OEM Role and does not correspond to a database user. Each administrator has preferred credentials for the objects they administer, in the case of a node this would be an OS Users credentials. The situation you describe (Only Oracle is allowed sysdba privs and then only physically at the console) seems designed to prevent remote management of the machine (unless I am missing something daft). Assuming the customer would be OK with this I would suggest creating an OS account for use by OEM and placing it in the DBA OS Group, you would then need to put he credentials for that user into the preferred credentials for use by OEM on that node. I believe that the actual login with this account is done by the agent on the db server and so you shouldn't need to change remote_os_auth at all.

Additions and clarifications welcome.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA