Re: sqlldr terminated by ',' with a ',' in one of my fields!

From: JohnL <jmfl54_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 10:07:16 -0700

Thanks for your reply I'll respond inside your post:

> method 1) hint: "filler" fields in sql*ldr control file.
Tried and failed "fillers, SQL strings cannot be specified as part of the field because space is allocated for them in the bind array" this is what led to my 'other column' solution

> method 2) Your file if it looks exactly (in format) like this then its a fixed format file. read doco (tahiti.oracle.com -> FM ->
> utilities).

I should have been more clear in my post...this is just a demo and the fields are terminated by ',' so I can't use any position functions

> method 3) use a simple utility like sed/awk/perl to get the data file in your format .. and then load it.

That's what I wanted to do...but...these scripting tools are not available to me.

> method 4) if you are on 9i: load it by utilizing "external table"

I don't reallly understand, but the DB is version 8.

> method 5) create a view (3 cols) in the database and write instead of trigger on it to load the data in the real table.

I don't have permision to create any triggers..but furthermore I didn't know you could do an insert into a view, I'll have to mess around with that

Thanks
JohnL Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 12:07:16 CDT