Re: please help with stored outlines

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:55:42 +0200

Ryan Gaffuri wrote:
> This is the first time I have used them.
>
> I logged is as User A, created an outline based on an update
> statement. Check DBA_OUTLINES. Its been created. I gave it a category.
>
> User B, has its own tablespaces which is a duplicate of the tablespace
> that USer A defaults to. I was hoping to be able to use the outline
> created by User A, on the tables used by User B, since they have the
> same name, indexes etc... Its not using it.
>
> So I take it that outlines are tablespace based? Can I created an
> outline for one tablespace and move it to another tablespace?

You got me interested, so I read up the chapter 11 in 'expert one on one'.

The whole outline stuff is based on string comparison, so the tablespace, as usual with oracle, never comes into the picture. So the only two questions you've got to make absolutely shure you answer them correctly are:
1.) Did you set the correct category for user b (since you gave it a category

     you've got to issue 'alter session set use_stored_outline=category) 2.) Are the SQL-Strings really, really, *really* identical?

Best you issue the select statement as user a, save it to a .sql file, then connect as user b, alter session to use the correct category and invoke the statement from file.

HTH Holger Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 09:55:42 CDT