Re: Autoextend switch

From: <sybrandb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 13 Jun 2003 03:14:21 -0700

rooty_hill2002_at_yahoo.com.au (Gary) wrote in message news:<171bd226.0306122211.50ec871_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi!
>
> I was told technically it is not a good idea to switch on AUTOEXTEND
> for all tablespaces except for SYSTEM. Practically as a junior Oracle
> DBA I am really allured to switch it on for all tablespaces.
>
> Could anybody explain to me why AUTOEXTEND will cause fragmentation or
> I/O contention?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The main problem is that you will loose control of your disk. In other words, once the autoextending tablespaces have completely filled it up (because you didn't monitor the growth,as you didn't want to be annoyed by error messages) you are in really deep shit, especially when bureaucrats don't want to order a disk without getting at least 6 signatures.
You are on your way to lazy administration and you will likely end up in hell.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Jun 13 2003 - 05:14:21 CDT