Zero Client front end to Oracle

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:53:36 +0100

Morning Niall,

<BEGIN RANT>

Windows is a pain for doing stuff like that. Have of a Windows install is dlls to support Microsoft compiler tools (ie run time libraries for VB, C, C++ ....) so that MS marketing can say 'our compiler produces much smaller code than Borland's does' for example, knowing full well that the MS app was compiled using runtime libraries and the Borland one was statically linked.

Alternatively, when you distribute an app compiled using VC++ you only have to distribute x Mb of files, but with Borland you have to distribute x * y Mb. Again, all the bleeding dlls are already on the system just in case you ever install anything compiled with an MS tool.

This marketing b*llsh*t really gets on my (* Y *) (some smilies are better than others !)

<END RANT>

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar