Re: I created a data extraction tool

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_petefinnigan.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:03:56 +0100

Hi Patrick

This sounds like a very interesting program. I wrote a similar one at the beginning of 1998 in Pro*C that read a configuration from a set of database tables. They like yours described the tables needed, the joins and driving columns to select the data. My program generated a PL/SQL programs that could then be run to populate the test data from one database to another. Unfortunately i don't have a copy of the code as it was a long time ago and i wrote it for a previous employer.

The one enhancement that i never got round to finishing but you could add to yours is to "mangle" the data. I added a further configuration that allowed rules to be defined as to how to alter any column of data to hide its original meaning and still allow it to work correctly. This was necessary so that live production customer details could be taken off site to test with (banks requirement).

kind regards

Pete

--
Pete Finnigan