Re: Can OEM list the Nodes folder in terms of IP address, instead of Hostname

From: Jeffrey Yee <jeffyee_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2003 19:31:48 -0700

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<0lehevs8hpahu0007426liv42vvt5cgo05_at_4ax.com>...
> On 12 Jun 2003 00:54:06 -0700, jeffyee_at_hotmail.com (Jeffrey Yee)
> wrote:
>

> answers embedded
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm using OEM version 9.2.0.1, using OMS, to discover all the nodes to
> >be managed. The problem is, my client prefer the node name be in the
> >form of IP Address, instead of the node name. Can this be done?
>
> I don't think so. Also one shouldn't encourage the use of hardcoded
> IP-addresses. You will be in big trouble when you relocate the
> database.

Relocating a database might also involve changes to the hostname. But that is beside the point. Customer prefer to see the IP address for some reason, and it would be a shame that OEM cannot cater for such trivia stuff. It's just the label of the node.

> >Also, I realise that once I discover a note, lets say with IP Address:
> >192.100.100.54 & hostname: test, OEM seems to associate 192.100.100.54
> >to test hostname. What I mean is that, when I later delete this node
> >from the nodes folder in OEM, and change the hosts file (IP Address:
> >192.100.100.54, hostname: test1), and then do another discovery
> >through the IP Address 192.100.100.54, the discovery will fail. I can
> >only discover using the hostname test1. I guess OMS stores the initial
> >IP Address & hostname in the repository db. Can someone please help me
> >to solve this problem.
>
> See the comment above. The info you are talking about is also stored
> in a fashion which can be readily updated without screwing up the rest
> of the repository. I can easily think of a reason to do so: to prevent
> actions like the one you describe above.

How do I do the update?

> >Lastly, I also have problem with OS authentication db using OEM. How
> >do I login into OEM as SYSDBA, if OEM is running on Win2000 server?
> >The only OS user that has SYSDBA privilege on HP-UX is Oracle, and the
> >remote_os_authent parameter is set to false.
>
> Just grant any ordinary oracle user SYSDBA privilege. That's all. Also
> if remote_login_passwordfile has been set correctly SYS can also login
> as SYSDBA. This is a non-issue which has already been dealt with.

My customer still prefer the remote_login_passwordfile=none, means using OS authentication. Under this circumstances, I can't grant sysdba to another user, because there is no password file to write to.