I created a data extraction tool

From: Patrick Saunders <psaunder_at_comcen.com.au>
Date: 12 Jun 2003 18:48:42 -0700

hello there,
Something people here might be interested in. Over the years I desired a tool that could extract data from target tables, recursively navigating through a schema, and generate insert statements for the the purpose of populating a test schema.

Well, I gave up waiting and wrote a first cut using perl-dbi. I would like to know if other people would like to use this program.

Quick description of program:
1.Write relationship file that describes relationships between tables and the columns you wish to use. These don't need to be key columns, you choose what you know is meaningful.

2.Run the script, telling it the starting table with initial criteria.

The program will generate INSERT statements, or call oracle EXP to generate export files if you know you have LOB columns in your tables.

I am considering re-writing this as a java program to make it more user friendly.

Please tell me if other people interested in using this and I will either release the perl code or recode in java, or better yet, point me where towards this program already exists! :)

Regards,

Patrick. Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 20:48:42 CDT