Re: What's wrong with SQL Server?

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 22:10:54 GMT

"James Chappell" <james_at_rees-chappell.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:U2ZqMJAAaP6+EwhO_at_rees-chappell.demon.co.uk...
> My boss is mumbling about using MS SQL Server for a new application at
> our place. Can he be serious?

I'm sure he can, but only you would know that better than the rest of us :-)

> We've run Oracle since about version 5 !!

Your point being?...

If its a new app then you probably aren't looking at conversion issues or rewriting code, we have a few SQL Server apps that run quite nicely actually, and backups/restores are a snap!

It depends on lots of things whether running on SQL or Oracle makes that big of a difference, some apps we have will run on either, for one of them I was talking to support personell and they told me that the SQL version was terrible when they had to do database restructures and once the users reached a certain threshold, but another app we have seems to hum along quite nicely on either database (according to other users I've talked to)

I suggest you contact other customers that use the app in question and get the pro's & con's.

Also check out licensing issues, I know in our case I can (possibly) justify switching our SQL databases to Oracle because our largest database (named users) is Oracle and the license covers all other oracle databases as long as the named user count stays below the largest one.

hth Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 17:10:54 CDT