Re: UTL_FILE and Ampersand (&)

From: John Russell <netnews6_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:36:51 GMT

On 11 Jun 2003 14:01:35 -0700, pawanputrahanuman_at_yahoo.com (Pawan) wrote:

>Hi all,
>I am trying to write multiple files to the utl_file_dir which is set
>to /tmp on my server. I am trying to generate multiple files - one
>file per customer and there are 1000 customers. One of the customers
>is A&P Stores. My code fails because if the ampersand. Is there a
>solution to this? In SQL*Plus I could say "set define off" but in
>PL/QSL ....
Looks like the operating system doesn't like the "&" character in a filename. If you know that there is not another customer like "A$P" or "A(P", you could do a TRANSLATE() on the string representing the file name before opening it. I typically translate all instances of special characters to "_".

John

--
Photo gallery: http://www.pbase.com/john_russell/