Re: Problem installing Oracle9iAS

From: kn <keldn_at_kill.spam>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 20:09:20 +0200

"M" <noreply_at_noreply.com> wrote in message news:bc9fk6$2tun$1_at_news.hgc.com.hk...
> Hi Friends,
>
> I have failed to install Oracle 9iAS. When selected to install the
"Oracle
> Infrastructure", I got the following error:
>
> "Installation has detected that a fully qualified hostname has not been
> specified for this host. Oracle9iAS Infrastructure installation requires
> domain name to be specified for each host where it is installed. Please
> consult your operating system instructions for details on assigning a
> default domain name. If you are not using a DNS server, then the file
> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts must include a line of the form:
>
> <IP_Address> <FULLY_QUALIFIED_HOSTNAME> <ALIASES>"
>
> I'm trying to install the iAS to XP Pro. In Control Panel->Network, I can
> found setting of TCP protocol but don't know how to set the above.
>
> Any help is much appreciated.

I'm assuming that you are trying to install on a stand alone pc.

This is what I did on my home win2000 pc:

right click on my computer --> properties --> network identification --> properties
(my computer name is 'filbert') --> more

type in whatever in primary DNS suffix of this computer (I have 'suf' here).

now you go to your hosts file and enter

127.0.0.1 filbert.suf
that is: replace 'filbert' with your computer name and replace 'suf' with whatever you entered in primary DNS suffix of this computer.

can't remember if restart is needed, but do that anyway and start the installation.

worked for me.

good luck ! Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 13:09:20 CDT