Re: Zero Client front end to Oracle

From: J French <Bounce_It_jerry_at_iss.u-net.com_.bin>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:45:14 +0000 (UTC)

On 11 Jun 2003 07:33:33 -0700, richmarin_at_earthlink.net (Rich) wrote:

>I need to create a front end to an Oracle database. The company I work
>for requires that I use VB scripts. And they do not want anything
>installed on the end user's PC.
>
>The front end must be able to allow users to interactively ( thru pull
>down menus, combo boxes etc . . . ) create SQL statements. Then the
>SQL statements will query the back end Oracle tables. The data is to
>be retrieved and sent the Excel spreadsheets on the end users desktop.
>
>Can the above be done with Oracle and VB scripts on an intranet?

Your company wants you to produce an HTML interface to some remote system that ultimately returns Excel files

For the time being forget about the back end, and just concentrate on what you can do with HTML - 'hidden' input fields are useful ...

Personally I would avoid Java and its sibling JavaScript - but then I am biased - I detest local scripting

I reckon the menu stuff is not really on, but Combo/Listboxes are pretty easy.

The project is pretty feasible

Personally I would do the whole thing using bland HTML and also produce a 'fatter' client that uses the same interface. Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 11:45:14 CDT