Re: How to export from Oracle to text using Perl

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 12:54:21 GMT

It doesn't "have to", but it will unless you take steps to do it differently. And I indicated one of those steps in my reply. In my experience, 98%+ of the people who complain about the response time of SQL*Plus are those who are waiting for SQL*Plus to scroll output on the screen. Bypass that with my method or yours, and SQL*Plus is as fast as they want it to be. I'm sure if they had their Perl program write every line of output to the screen, it would be slow too. And that's my point.

Cheers,
Brian

Yong Huang wrote:

> Why does sqlplus have to render the output to the screen? You can set
> termout off and make sure your SQL is in a script (rather than
> directly typed at SQL> prompt). So you type
>
> set term off
> spo myoutput
> @myscript.sql
>
> Redirection also works, even under DOS (The "select * from dual" is
> shown AFTER I "blindly" typed that and hit enter. I could suppress all
> these with sqlplus set commands):
>
> C:\>sqlplus yong/yong_at_tiny > myoutput
> select * from dual;
> exit
>
> C:\>type myoutput
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.1 - Production on Wed Jun 11 22:54:08 2003
>
> (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> Connected to:
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.3.0 - Production
> With the Partitioning option
> JServer Release 9.0.1.3.0 - Production
>
> SQL>
> -
>
> SQL> Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.3.0 -
> Productio
> With the Partitioning option
> JServer Release 9.0.1.3.0 - Production
>
> Yong Huang
>
> Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message news:<3EE78180.878C587B_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>...
> > The biggest downside in using SQL*Plus is that SQL*Plus will render the
> > output to the screen. This can be overcome with redirection in a Unix
> > environment though.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Brian

Brian Peasland