Re: truncate partition drop storage doesn't deallocate space

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:31:07 +1000

"cc" <dinos5_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7c675a3b.0306120102.758158e7_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to truncate a partiton which has 4 extents. After issuing
> alter table... truncate partition ... drop storage statement I see
> again 4 extents for this partition in user_extents ...
>
> parition's minextent value = 1
>
> any idea?
>
> thanks in advance.

Hi CC,

Any chance you're using a locally managed tablespace ?

Any chance that the partition has an *initial extent* size equivalent to the sum(rounded up) of the 4 uniform (or 64K auto allocated) extents ?

In which case, what you're seeing is expect behaviour as drop storage only drops storage up to the minextents of the segment.

So look up the initial size and see what is tells you.

Good Luck

Richard Received on Thu Jun 12 2003 - 06:31:07 CDT