Re: Zero Client front end to Oracle

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2003 16:06:09 -0700

"Volker Hetzer" <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org> wrote in message news:<bc7k99$ukp$1_at_dackel.pdb.sbs.de>...
> Jim Kennedy wrote:
> > Even with that dll you are not going to be able to communicate with
> > the backend without the underlying driver.
> Maybe I'm just learning something new, but Ialways thought
> that the client needs the client odbc interface (typically the MS ODBC
> driver) and the database server then receives the ODBC calls and translates
> them into native calls.
> Communication goes over a standardized protocol on top of TCP/IP.

Jim is right. Whether you are using M$ ODBC driver for Oracle or Oracle's own supplied ODBC driver, you need to have Oracle middleware (Sql*Net, Net8) installed on the machine for either driver to work.

If you want to communicate with Oracle without any Oracle middleware, then use Oracle's JDBC thin driver.

Regards
/Rauf Sarwar Received on Wed Jun 11 2003 - 18:06:09 CDT