Re: Zero Client front end to Oracle

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 18:25:52 +0200

Volker Hetzer wrote:
> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>

>>Even with that dll you are not going to be able to communicate with
>>the backend without the underlying driver.

> Maybe I'm just learning something new, but Ialways thought
> that the client needs the client odbc interface (typically the MS ODBC
> driver) and the database server then receives the ODBC calls and translates
> them into native calls.
> Communication goes over a standardized protocol on top of TCP/IP.

Nope, it's even worse than that. I remember that we were having a bad time once getting a excel macro to work because (I believe it was with 8i) during the installation the Oracle ODBC Driver was *NOT* included by default, but the MS ODBC Driver just sat on top of it, so it did not work.

I haven't checked this lately but at that time it was actually

MS ODBC on top of Oracle ODBC on top of OCI on top of network layer of your choice...

Which perhaps explains why people start laughing at posts like

	I've got this VB Applikation with MS ODBC as Data Provider and I want
	to make it really really fast

This whole ODBC, ADO, DAO and what not business is just a heap of horse manure IMO - and I've desperately tried to use it. It was a waste of money which fortunately I didn't have to pay.

For me, Delphi with Direct Oracle Access is the way to go - never failed me sofar.

Cheers,

Holger Received on Wed Jun 11 2003 - 11:25:52 CDT