Zero Client front end to Oracle

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:54:31 +0100

Hi Rich,

to the best of my knowledge, if you want to access an Oracle database without client, you'll need to go through a web interface to a web server running Apache with mod_plsql fitted which does have Oracle client and can therefore talk to the database.

On the other hand, 9i has something called iSQLPlus which is a 3 tier system - again, browser based. The client PCs only need a browser, the middle tier is the HTTP server and from there to the database server. I've seen it demonstrated, but whether you can call it from a VB script and get results back again - I have no idea. I also believe that it has a number of security problems.

I think you are bolloxed if you can't install client on the users machines.

HTH Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator