Re: poor man's standby

From: Edzard <edzard_at_volcanomail.com>
Date: 11 Jun 2003 06:37:43 -0700

Hello,

Even though I do have Enterprise Edition / Oracle Data Guard license, I still use plain unix scripts for a standby mechanism. Actually it is a combined standby and test database. So I can use the Standby database for DML. There are two servers installed with SLES8 and Oracle 9.2.0.3 and connected via read-only NTFS mounts.

These are the scripts, should I post them?

backup.sh

Daily script o perform a hot backup, runs on production host. The database files are copied to an off-line directory and are compressed with gzip.

logswitch.sh

Hourly script to trigger a redo log switch. The new archives are copied and compressed to a seperate directory, still local on the production server.

logtransfer.sh

Hourly script on the standby server, to transfer compressed redo log archives from production to standby server.

filetransfer.sh

Daily script on the standby server to transfer the backup of the database files (compressed) from production to standby server.

recover.sh

Daily script on the standby server to recover the database. It deletes the database, replaces the database files (using the backup from production), creates controlfile, recovers the database files until the point in the time of the latest transferred log archive, and opens the database for normal access. In normal circumstances the standby machine is used as a test database. If at any time the production database fails, it can be brought up on the standby machine by manually running recover.sh. This will recover up to about an hour ago.

Not mentioned are purge routines for the archives and tape backup.

Regards, Edzard Pasma Received on Wed Jun 11 2003 - 08:37:43 CDT