Unicode penalty ?

From: Martin Drautzburg <martin.drautzburg_at_web.de>
Date: 11 Jun 2003 09:33:02 +0200

I have some questions regarding unicode:

When would I set up an entire database with a unicode charset and when would I use a unicode national characterset ?

What is the space penalty for unicode. I would assume that for us7ascii characters there is no penalty at all, right ?

What is the performance penalty ?

What modifications are required on the client side ? We are using a Borland appserver, will that be a problem ? Will client software that used to work with - say - ISO8859 charactersets still work with unicode (provided only ISO8859 characters are stored in the database) ? Received on Wed Jun 11 2003 - 02:33:02 CDT