Re: Database reorg in Oracle 8?

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 01:26:30 GMT

  1. You have just put most of the index into cache.(thus improving retrieval from the index since most of it is in ram)
  2. You have just packed the index which will become less packed as data is changed .(try the rebuild with the extents the same number)

Generate a test case where it clearly shows that the number of extents matters. Test it.

I will grant you that if you choose extent sizes that are not a good fit for your multiblock read count and not a good fit for how your OS handles reading data off the disk, then you can make it look bad. However, you cannot guarrentee - without getting a freshly formatted disk - that the actual block order is the same as the physical block order on the disk. Jim

--
Replace part of the email address: kennedy-down_with_spammers_at_attbi.com
with family.  Remove the negative part, keep the minus sign.  You can figure
"Sheilah Scheurich" <mommydba_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The number of extents on tables may or may not have negative impact,
> however the number of extents on an index definatly will have an impact.
> Simply run statistics (with or without timing) on an index with a
> large number of indexes (100 or more), rebuild the index without the
> extents and run the same process. You will see that the number of reads
> as well as the overall performance of the query is dramatically improved.
>
> -Sheilah Scheurich
>
> Jim Kennedy wrote:
>
> > Prove the number of extents has a negative impact.
> > Jim
> > "Anton Buijs" <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> >
> >>That's what I try to say to: what's the cause.
> >>And number of extents is irrelevant to performance... to a certain
extent.

> >>don't want to perpetuate that myth, please, I will fight it with you.
But