Re: Service naming in Net Manager

From: Paul Dixon <antispam_at_bt.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:40:27 +0100

"Peter" <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message news:b36bevgp4lq8cha43g5q8ijdgpccs0uvs2_at_4ax.com...
> Is it possible to have more than one listeners listening for the same
> net service name? They may or may not be on the same machine. If they
> are on the same machine, of course they listens on different ports.
> Something like this in the TNSNAMES.ORA file
> db =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = db.domain)(PORT = 1521))
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = db.domain)(PORT = 1522))
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = db2.domain)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVICE_NAME = mydb.test)
> (server = shared)
> )
> )
>

> However in the Oracle Net Manager, I could not find a way to configure
> this configuration.

Peter,

yes I have configured this using net manager. An xample entry :-

MYDB =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost1.mydomain.com)(PORT = 1521))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = myhost2.mydomain.com)(PORT = 1521))
      (LOAD_BALANCE = yes)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SID = MYDB)
    )
  )

I achieved this by adding an address using the Green + symbol in the address configuration box, then clicking the advanced tab in the address configuration box gives you further options. In my case I chose "Try each address randomly until one succeeds". This option provides client load balancing and connect-time failover.

NB Not all of the possible permutations are available if you use Oracle 8i (and later) service naming.

Paul Dixon Received on Tue Jun 10 2003 - 07:40:27 CDT