Re: poor man's standby

From: Serge Lisin <foxman_at_mail.ru>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:12:25 +0600

LeKaido wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is there a way to make something similar to DataGuard ( Standby ) work
> on two installations of Oracle Standard ?
>
> What I need is one database being the "main" server and the second
> one as up-to-date as possible ( through applying archived redos for
> example ) and recoverable and able to function as the main database in
> minutes.
>
> The closest thing I've gotten to work this far is:
>
> ( Linux RedHat AS 2.1 , Oracle Standard v. 9.2.0.1 )
>
> Database D1 operates on machine M1. The logs and control files are
> multiplexed over nfs mount to M2. D2 is a copy of D1.
> D1 is stopped. D2 'startup mount' -ed and 'recover'-ed ( with all the
> ctl-s and logs in their proper places ).

    It isn't safe solution. NFS on standard unix isn't enough fast and reliable. Finally, your can get damaged database. The best soluton for you is standby database. In my sites i use 'alter database archivelog current' every 30 min's and transfer all new archived logs to standby db with rsync-over-ssh.

--
   WBR,  Serge Lisin