Re: Shared_server_sessions parameter and dispatcher sessions attribute

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 03:33:33 GMT

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 00:38:43 +0200, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Peter" <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message
>> I have this dispatcher parameter that I like to set up.
>> What is the difference between the dispatcher connections attribute
>> and the sessions attribute? Are the sessions referring to user
>> sessions? Are the connections actual connections to the instance?
>>

>dispatchers="(protocol=tcp)(dispatchers=2)(pool=on)(connections=100)(session
>s=200)"
>>

>> Also, what is the difference between the SHARED_SERVER_SESSIONS
>> initialization parameter and the dispatcher sessions attribute?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>Reading the manual for you (and I will do this *ONCE ONLY*)
>
>Your 200 sessions are being dealt with by 100 connections.
>The essence of pooling is that connections will be shared by multiple
>sessions.
>
> Connection pooling is defined as
>
>A resource utilization and user scalability feature that enables you to
>maximize the number of sessions over a limited number of protocol
>connections to a shared server.
>
>The shared server sessions parameter according to the reference manual is
>the maximum number of shared servers you can have on the server.
>As a *client* session can be and will be dealt with by *multiple* shared
>servers, there is no relationship, other than on a busy database you can run
>out of shared servers on the servers.
>
>Question: did you look this up in the reference manual? I can find it with 1
>or 2 clicks. It doesn't look like you want clarification, you want others to
>do something you could have looked up yourself.

I looked it up in the manual before, if shared server sessions parameter is the maximum number of shared servers, then what is parameter SHARED_SERVERS ?

From the manual:
SHARED_SERVERS specifies the number of server processes that you want to create when an instance is started up.

They have quite similar descriptions and this causes even more questions.

Thanks Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 22:33:33 CDT