Re: Oracle backup to tape Please help....

From: Burton Peltier <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:19:36 -0500

Secureless? What if your tape drive fails during backup ?

I suppose I should have stated the obvious ... for the backup to disk option, the backup disk location HAS to be a different disk-spindle(s) than the datafile/controlfile/init.ora/etc. disk-spindle(s).

Also, seems to me you could lose more than 1 hour using your method, unless of course we assume you are doing a manual log switch right before the hourly backup to disk of archived log files AND you ensure that you backup that latest archived log from the manual log switch.

Also, do you backup the archived logs and then delete them. What if the tape is bad? We also always backup the archived logs twice before deleting them, again to a different disk spindle.

Backups to disk are not a problem (assuming done correctly as stated above). They are usually faster to backup to and faster to restore from (since you usually restore from the latest copy on disk).

But, I always try to keep 2 disk copies, just in case the 1st is bad and of course you always have the tape backups for a while. Actually, in our shop we keep the file server backups simple and just keep everything for 1 year, including my hot/cold/export backups. Most (99%) of those hots/colds will never be used but at least we don't backup any *.dbf files to the file server backup, just the backups of these files which are in compressed mode of course (tar output compressed).

The only disadvantage of disk backups is of course your database has to be small enough . All of the databases I support are less than 75 Gig (a few are over 50Gig).