Re: Where does sql*net get hostname in nttbnd2addr (MTS)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:20:12 +0200

"NetComrade" <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net> wrote in message news:3ee4de69.362555897_at_nyc.news.speakeasy.net...
> We had an issue recently where we coudln't connect to a server and
> would get an ORA-12545. Since I couldn't really analyze it until
> recently, we assumed that it was the firewall. Today, after making
> sure that high ports are accessible both ways, i enabled tracing, and
> saw that sql*net was looking up a name, but not a fully qualified
> name. After adding the name to /etc/hosts, we were able to connect w/o
> a problem, however, how do I make sure oracle passes back a
> fully-qualified name? (by passing back, I mean, that initially client
> was connecting to a fully qualified name, but then mts was redirecting
> to connect to another name, initially the client was connecting to a
> virtual IP--this is a clustered environment; so tnsping works;
> dedicated connection works; MTS didn't)
>
> Here's an error from the log:
> [09-JUN-2003 11:51:49:712] nttbnd2addr: looking up IP addr for host:
> dragon1
> [09-JUN-2003 11:51:49:760] nttbnd2addr: *** hostname lookup failure!
> ***
> [09-JUN-2003 11:51:49:760] nttbnd2addr: exit
>
> This is Solaris/Oracle 8.1.7.4. Client was actually a linux machine,
> but I don't think it matters.

> We use Oracle 8.1.7.4 on Solaris 2.7 boxes
> remove NSPAM to email

The nodename in connect_data of tnsnames.ora and the hostname in listener.ora *must* match, otherwise you'll get 12545. So: if your host isn't qualified on the client, you don't want to get a qualified name back: it is not going to work. If you are using qualified names on the server, you *must* use (which you can set up in /etc/hosts) a qualified name also.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA