Re: How to set up shared servers?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 21:00:48 +0200

"Peter" <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca> wrote in message news:bfk9ev8gnhct8mosqv02hl4hlqlu6mclhv_at_4ax.com...
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 13:04:15 +0200, Sybrand Bakker
> <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 10:18:30 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
> >wrote:

> >>Is (server=shared) needed to set up shared server?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >

> >No, not at all.
> >Server =shared says: When there are shared connections possible and
> >dedicated connections I *always* want a shared connection.
> >If there are shared server and you don't specify anything you
> >automatically get a shared connection.
> >If there are shared server and you specify (server=dedicated) you get
> >a dedicated connection.
> >

> Okay,
> but what if there are only dedicated servers and I specify
> (server=shared)? Is this senario even posssible?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Likely this will end up in the error above for which the description is TNS-12523 TNS:listener could not find instance appropriate for the client connection

Cause: The listener could not find any available (database) instances, that are appropriate for the client connection.

Action: Run "lsnrctl services" to ensure that the instance(s) are registered with the listener, and have READY status.

You don't have any dispatchers running, and the listener will search for dispatchers, which it won't find.
It is more customary to use (server=dedicated) for the few cases you want to have a dedicated connection despite MTS running (because you need to shut the database which won't be possible in MTS) than the other way around. You really need to
to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address run lsnrctl services, and maybe check to alert to find out why dispatchers aren't started, or maybe trace the listener (set trace_level=16 in lsnrctl), and then bounce the database.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA