Re: Configuring Oracle 9 on Linux (Memory issue)

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:41:09 +0200

On 9 Jun 2003 04:42:40 -0700, double6_at_yandex.ru (undef) wrote:

>Hi all!
>
>Iam new to oracle and want to ask your help in configuring it on linux
>server.
>We use 1 server 2xP1700 (Xeon with HT), 2GB of RAM, RAID 5.
>OS: RedHat Linux 8 (2.4.18-14smp)
>Oracle: Oracle-9.2
>Our database is not big (about 700 MB) and we have ~30 clients.
>Following installation instructions and official documentation I set
>up this configuration parameters:
>
>/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax have value 1073741824 (Half of available RAM)
>
>Oracle configuration:
>
>db_block_buffers=10000
>db_block_size=8192
>sga_max_size =1106449528
>shared_pool_size= 536870912
>processes=150
>
>Server works ok for about 10-15 days, and then halts. I suggest that
>this happens because of wrong configuration.
>When it starts up, it doesnt eat much memory, but after some time of
>work I have about 20-50 Mb of free memory.
>I suppose that all this configuration parametres will limit oracle
>resources to ~1Gb of RAM, but this dont work!
>
>Please help!
>
>ps. sorry for bad english.

IIRC shmmax ought to be bigger than the SGA. In your case it isn't Also it looks to me there is a too big difference between sga_max_size and shared_pool_size + db_block_buffers * db_block_size, as you don't seem to have the large pool and the javapool configured. Couldn't it be you are right now wasting memory?

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 09:41:09 CDT