Re: Oracle backup to tape Please help....

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 16:37:47 +0200

On 9 Jun 2003 05:38:04 -0700, rmadduluri_at_stantec.com (Rukmini Madduluri) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm currently accepting responsibility to Backup our database
>periodically. I have been doing various other dba tasks like
>performance tuning, writing scripts, stored procedures and triggers.
>I'm very good at PL/SQL and SQL . I know how to backup to a disk and
>to exports and imports , but the problem is we have a server that has
>to be backed up onto a tape. The server is a dell server that has its
>own tape device and we have ARC Serve to manage the tapes. I can see
>the Tape only from arc serve Media manager but cannot see the tape
>from Windows explorer. I have never worked with tapes. I'm comfortable
>doing backup's to disks but do not know how to backup to tape. Is
>there a way to backup to the tape through Arc Serve or can I do it
>directly from oracle. Any direction in this regard is greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Rukmini
>rmadduluri_at_stantec.com

Arcserve has a special Arcserve Backup Agent for Oracle available (shudder).
If you don't have this piece of shit (oh sorry) software, and you can afford to shut the database down, you can configure pre- and postcommands in Arcserve to shut down and start up the database for you.
If you have the Agent you can perform hot backup without writing special scripts. In the past the price of this Agent was $1000, and many developers won't be capable to develop dependable scripts for this price.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon Jun 09 2003 - 09:37:47 CDT