Oracle Server - HELP HELP

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:05:35 +0100

Hi Lewis,

The explanation below sounds *exactly* like a fault I had on 64 bit Oracle 8170 running of 64 bit HPUX 11.00.

The fix is to patch to 8174 and it all goes away (on HP anyway). I had a process on my 817 database which would run off with 100% of the CPU making it impossible to login or find out which OS process corresponded to which Oracle process. Not helpful at all. I had to kill the offending OS process and when this happened all would be fine for about 5 mins where another process would take off at 100%. This continued until such time as one of the background processes for the instance took up the baton and sped off into the distance at 100%. At this point, kill the whole plot was the only solution.

Since upgrading to 8174, this is no longer a problem.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator