Re: Database reorg in Oracle 8?

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 20:56:05 +0200

Heiko <ht_at_bigfoot.de> schreef in berichtnieuws 2757c$3ee37f2a$d4cac0e3$32752_at_nf1.news-service.com...
| > Oracle export/import?
| > But it all depends on WHAT you want to reorganise. What is your purpose?
| > Why? What is it you need to change?
| > (please specify exact version and platform too).
|
| Hi!
|
| I want to rebuild the index-files. The read and write-access to the tables
| are very
| slow - so I hoped that could help...
|
| Thanks!
| Heiko

Maybe, but only if the indexes really need it. It should not be something you do once a month.
I just looked for "index browing" the other day but could not found the criteria again I once read.
Anyway, the answer is already given by Ana:

   alter index <indexname> rebuild nologging; For best performance give that session much sort memory (alter session set sort_area_size=2048000 or so).
I assume you haven proven already for yourself that read and write access is slow.
Examing and optimizing the execution plans of the statements has already been done then?
Another solution can be to look at you disk setup. Is there some heavy IO on one disk while another is hardly accessed? Is it the best possible configuration (raid set, #disks in a raid set, i/o controller paths to the disks and so).
Do you have sufficient db_block_buffers configured (or maybe far too much)? Received on Sun Jun 08 2003 - 13:56:05 CDT