Please help me debug these critical init.ora params

From: Mike Harris <badshah2000_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 8 Jun 2003 11:41:33 -0700

Hi,

The server is running W2K Server, SP/3.
2GB (2048MB) RAM.
Oracle 8.1.6 with all the latest patches.

The server is running only one instance of Oracle, and nothing else runs on this machine.

repeat, the machine has 2GB RAM.
The original parameters in init.ora were (these are not typos) DB_BLOCK_SIZE=2048
DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS=35000 (this results in allocating about 70MB to it). SHARED_POOL_SIZE=40MB
LARGE_POOL_SIZE=0 (yes, zero)

During peak hours, over 100 users connect to the machine. As you can guess, it would slow to a crawl. Upon some investigation, these parameters were brought to light. Following is what was tried as a fix.
DB_BLOCK_SIZE=2048 (it should not be modified, right?) DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS=600000 (results in about 1170MB) SHARED_POOL_SIZE=350MB
LARGE_POOL_SIZE=35MB The problem is that it didn't run. Only a short while into running again, users started to get "Out of process memory" errors (while tried to allocate 26K of memory, etc). We started to lower the DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS and SHARED_POOL_SIZE. Eventually, it was brought down to all the way
DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS=350000 (about 680MB)
SHARED_POOL_SIZE=200MB But the "out of process memory" errors didn't go away. They got delayed a little but eventually came up. In frustration, we restoed it to the original init.ora file. But as you can see above, that is probably not a very efficient. Machine has 2GB of memory, and only 7-8% of that is allocated to Oracle's critical parametrs. Could you please help.

(the init.ora file is the one created by Oracle. Other than the listed params, we didn't touch any thing else).

thanks a lot!
Mark Received on Sun Jun 08 2003 - 13:41:33 CDT