Re: How would I write this sql

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 08 Jun 2003 16:17:07 +1000

 Sybrand> On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 06:58:04 -0500, "Jake"
 Sybrand> <oracle-news_at_heyjay.com>
 Sybrand> wrote:

>> Thank goodness for open source, cause I can patch the code to work
>> with "user"

 Sybrand> You describe *exactly* the reason why I dislike open
 Sybrand> source. Open source is not a program, but just a collection
 Sybrand> of ill-advised patches and hacks

 Sybrand> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Geez Sybrand, despite your posts often being terse and even rude, your technical knowledge is usually superb - but this is the most idiotic sweeping statement I've ever read from you!

Open source is no different to closed source - some is good, some is bad. A sweeping statement that claims it is nothing but ill-advised patches and hacks is rediculous in the extreme.

As the poster points out - he can now fix the problem because he has the sources. I wonder how long he would have to wait for a similar fix in a closed source program - and if you think closed source software never makes mistakes or has bugs your crazy.

Tim

--
Tim Cross