Re: Oracle 9i2 RAC on Linux - some basic questions

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 05:36:58 GMT

Mark van Duren wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am wondering what I would need to install an oracle 9i2 ha-setup under
> linux for my company.

You might want to reference Oracle's document #A95979_02

"Oracle9i Real Application Clusters Real Application Clusters Guard I Configuration Guide for Unix Systems: AIX-Based Systems, Compaq Tru64 UNIX, HP 9000 Series HP-UX, Linux Intel, and Sun Solaris"

It might have some related information. Check out http://otn.oracle.com/documentation/oracle9i.html

> The hardware setup will consists of a Dell PowerVault 220 storage unit (with
> 4x 36GB 15K RPM disks in a RAID 5 setup - i don't know if this will be
> sufficent?) and two Dell PowerEdge 1750 servers (with 2x 36GB 10K RPM disks,
> an Intel Xeon processor and 1GB RAM). So the config will be a SCSI-cluster
> instead of an Fibre-channel (we don't have enough money to pay for this kind
> of "luxury").

The same document might have some comments.

You might want to review the information on http://otn.oracle.com (click on Linux near the top of the left column) for some fairly reasonable notes, install guides and white papers. (Did I mention the documentation at http://docs.oracle.com? There is a bit of info there.)

Each certified distro also has an Oracle list - ask there as well. I'm personally pleased with SuSE SLES8 and ext2, others have other experiences. (And there is also some docco available at http://docs.oracle.com <g>)

> A second point of concern is, when do I have to pay for a license? It is not
> very clear to me because of all the different information you can find on
> the internet. For instance, do I only have to pay when I want service or
> support from Oracle? Or do I also have to pay if I use the Oracle 9i2 RAC
> software (enterprise edition) in an commercial environment (my business)?

The rule of thumb is ... it's not open source: if you use it, you pay for it. It's probably similar to the interaction between your customers and your business. (Of course, you might be giving away your product/service - I really don't know.)

Only Oracle, and their certified partners, can legally give you an answer on this. But you could approximate it like this (see disclaimer at end):

All the above licensing discourse is based on my understanding of the documents from Oracle's web site ... http://oracle.com > Licensing & Pricing, http://otn.oracle.com and http://oraclestore.com - your mileage may vary and your understanding should be derived from an official Oracle source! /Hans Received on Sat Jun 07 2003 - 00:36:58 CDT