Re: Storage: SAN, NAS, or Local

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 23:15:53 +0100

"Burton Peltier" <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:HAwDa.13406$pA3.4709_at_fe10.atl2.webusenet.com...
> Ok, I may not have stated my point as well as I could have.
>
> The challenge is that someone with more control over IT in our shop thinks
> SAN is a miracle cure. I don't agree with this and was hoping to get some
> useful info to argue against it (if and when needed).
>
> The comments on the oaktable.net web site were useful.

As it happens I was at a presentation given by James Morle (the author of the paper I believe you are referring to) this week, which made a lot of good suggestions about intelligent use of SAN technology - a bit EMC biased but pretty general. I'd definitely argue against *anything* being a miracle cure , even Multi-version read consistency could be seen as a bad thing if looked at the right way, but take away that SAN tech can be very helpful if implemented correctly (like make sure contending datafiles don't end up on the same platter cos you've 'abstracted the storage dilemma' ).

Don't discount NAS out of hand, it could work for you.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA