Re: What is null event ?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:58:40 +0100

> > A follow-up to this .. The null event was seen very frequently in
9.2.0.1 release ...
> > which if I remember correctly, is registered as a bug in metalink.
> > We are also running 9.2.0.3 and it seems that the number of times it
comes up now is very less.

> > However, that does not explain why you are still frequently seeing these
in your instance. Log an iTar if you
> > believe that you are seeing a lot of null events.
> >
> > Anurag
>
> We use 9.2.0.3 64-bit on Solaris. It comes up frequently.
>
> According to Anjo Kolk, a null event should never appear. We can treat
> it like ORA-600.

I think I have heard the basis for your first statement, but don't believe that the conclusion is correct. My understanding is that you get a null event when some piece of code calls the wait interface without an event id. The theory is that this should never happen and so is a bug.

An ora-600 is an untrapped error, which normally means 'something bad has happened'. Now bugs in the instrumentation of code don't help, but it seems harsh to regard them in the same way as uncaught errors.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA