Re: How to set up shared servers?

From: Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 19:08:36 GMT

On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 19:19:43 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jun 2003 07:37:03 GMT, Peter <peter_at_nomorenewsspammin.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>If I included the dispatchers and shared_servers parameters in my init
>>file and then restart my instance and then run
>>
>>On Oracle9i:
>>dispatchers=="(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=127.0.0.1)(port=1623))(service=ser.db)"
>>shared_servers=10
>>

>>show parameter dispatchers
>>
>>and
>>
>>show parameter shared_servers
>>
>>it showed that both of these parameters were not even set. Why is
>>that? How do I set them properly? did I miss something? I followed the
>>the manuals already.
>>
>>Thanks
>>

>As I explained to you before, setting up the local loopback as host in
>your dispatcher parameter doesn't make any sense.

Now I have this parameter

dispatchers="(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=127.0.0.1)(port=1721))" shared_servers=16

SQL> select * from v$dispatcher where name='D000';

NAME

NETWORK

PADDR STATUS ACC MESSAGES BYTES BREAKS OWNED
-------- ---------------- --- ---------- ---------- ----------
----------
   CREATED       IDLE       BUSY   LISTENER  CONF_INDX
---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- D000
(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=127.0.0.1)(port=1721)) 798DC77C WAIT YES 0 0 0 0

         0 57344 0 0 0

The loopback is not the problem when I did this on the test machine. It is when I included the (server=shared) to my (connect_data) in the tnsname.ora file that caused the problem.

When I tried to connect:

ORA-12523: TNS:listener could not find instance appropriate for the client connection

What's wrong with (server=shared) ?

>If you are using non standard parameters (which you are) you also need
>to setup the local_listener parameter to the net8 address of your
>listener.
>Finally, your listener has to be running before starting the database,
>as the database needs to register itself with the listener.
>If you run lsnrctl services you should be able to see the dispatchers
>running.

Yes, I checked with lsnrctl already and all my listners are running fine, before I restarted my instance.

>Apparently your current dispatcher parameter is incorrect, and you
>should check the alert log for any error message during startup.
>
>And, BTW, all this info *IS* in the net8 manual.

I am using Oracle9i, so I do not have net8. Is it something part of Oracle8 that I can download separately?

Thanks   Received on Fri Jun 06 2003 - 14:08:36 CDT