Cannot connect to Oracle Enterprise Management Console

From: Hugo Bouckaert <hugo_at_geoinformex.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 15:56:47 +0800

Hi

I have installed Oracle 9i Database Standard Edition as well as Oracle Client. When I go to Start -> Programs -> Oracle Orahome92 -> Enterprise Manager Console and choose "Login to the Oracle Management Server" (i.e. not standalone) and use username "sys" with the sys password I made the first time I created the database, I get the following error:

VTK - 1000 Unable to connect to the management server.

Note that I am trying to do this on the same machine where the server software is installed and that I have enabled all services on that machine.

Is there something I have to do in order to enable this? I found some information on the web about enabling "logon as batch job" and setting up in service type NODE and service type DATABASE usercodes and passwords - all this to be done in the Oracle Enterprise management Console but the paths described do not tally at all with the interface I have for Oracle 9i (release 9.2.0.2.0).

Can anyone give me a detailed explanation on hot to set this up.

Secondly, I have an apache httpd server running as part of the Oracle installation and the documentation tells me that if I login to http://mycomputer.com:3339 I will be able to start the Oracle Enterprise Management Console also. When I go to that site I do get a page from where there is a button "Launch Console" but all I get is a pop up window telling me the console has been launched - but the console itself does not appear.

Can anyone help?

When this didn't work, I thought I install the Oracle 9i client software but nothing new appeared under program files. What exactly does the client software do?

As you can see, I am new to Oracle (although not to databases as such). So any help and detailed explanations would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hugo Received on Fri Jun 06 2003 - 02:56:47 CDT