Re: Can Someone Point Me At Some Whitepapers Comparing Oracle to M$$QL$erver??

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:39:18 +1000

"Stephen Ferracioli" <ferracioli_at_101freeway.com> wrote in message news:ngUDa.3071$xT2.2973_at_newssvr16.news.prodigy.com...

> We have a consulting company who is being assisted by M$.

And I suppose that consulting company is NOT costing your organisation a single cent. Or if it is, I can guarantee NO ONE is adding that to the TCO: they are just taking the crap put out by M$ on that CD for granted.

There is NO POSSIBLE way that a SAP SQL*Server port from a Unix box can pay itself off in the first year.

Not even M$ tries to glue that one anymore: they are suggesting nowadays 5 years. Best case.

> IBM says that UDB runs on all
> platforms but I don't know anyone who runs it on anything but AIX.

Hehehe! Minor detail...

Me thinks there is another "inside job" going on here. Check out who in your company is pushing for this supposed "better" cost. Then check out who is his "friend" in the "consultancy" company. I'll bet you anything you'll find them.

This is such a tired old crap it's not even worth fighting. Polish off your CV and start looking: it's obvious these guys will do ANYTHING in their power to get you out of a supposedly expensive job.

Whatever you say will be taken and distorted by the "consultancy" company. This sort of thing is not worth fighting: all that happens is some dickhead will manage to slap a "disgruntled employee" label on you. Just tell them you're more than willing to continue to do work regardless of the DB they put in there. SQLServer needs DBAs like ANY OTHER database. M$ says it doesn't, but that is totally false: maybe they can explain the continuous ads on the papers asking for DBAs for their PC clients? That usually craps them out.

Next they'll push some overseas rubbish third world "support" company as better "TCO". And they'll collect another kickback from that, rest assured.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto