Re: Oracle 9i - Spatial vs Locator

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 00:25:21 GMT

Chris Morgan wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> The Oracle 9i Spatial Users Guide and Reference, Apendix C: Locator
> says:
> "Locator is available with both Oracle9i Standard Edition and Oracle9i
> Enterprise Edition. Spatial is a priced option available only with
> Oracle9i Enterprise Edition. Spatial includes all Locator features as
> well as other features that are not available with Locator."

Yes. AFAIK, that is correct.

> I have inferred from this that basic spatial functionality can be used
> without having to purchase a Spatial licence.

Again, correct. Locator is part of Intermedia. Therefore, AFAIK, included in the license. It's always wise to recheck/reconfirm licensing statements made in the forum directly with Oracle (your neck, not ours!)

> What I'm looking for is a test like the number of schema objects in
> MDSYS
> to check whether Locator or Spatial is installed, plus the SQL scripts
> I would need to run to install Locator and Spatial manually.

Look at the Intermedia manual. The implementation is as an object type. If you can detect the 'typedef' (potentially by doing a create table & catching the error), you can determine whether the feature is installed. Second step would be to check whether a locator and a spatial method are available. There are all sorts of secondary permissions gotchas - simple detection (especially outside of the database) will not be sufficient.

Note the availability of Spatial does not imply licensing of Spatial.

I believe Spatial and Locator/Intermedia are only implemented as PL/SQL functions probably created by simple .sql scripts in the appropriate $ORACLE_HOME/{component}/admin directories.

It is never a good idea to install components/features/options manually as it hoops the installer's inventory. Stoopid tings happen later - especially when trying to upgrade/patch.

/Hans Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 19:25:21 CDT