Re: Disaster Recovery with Oracle

From: Tom <marketing_at_databaseappliances.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2003 14:23:12 -0700

Hi Brian,

As for you questions, on cost:

BackupButler is extremely cost effective when you consider the total cost of ownership of other backup and recovery products. (Wouldn't you rather spend your time on more mission critical projects instead of backup and recovery scripting/scheduling/monitoring?) In terms of pure product cost, here too BackupButler is a cheaper solution then other less capable products. BackupButler is built on the newest technologies (eg. ATA drives) and as such is much more cost effective while still reliable. Here is a quote from ComputerWorld: "That's led to the recent trend of positioning tape as an archival solution only and using disk drives as both backup storage and as a tape buffer for backup storage."
ComputerWorld Nov/02

As for security:
BackupButler was designed for government level security and is in use by certain high level government agencies. All backup pieces are encrypted, BackupButler has built-in intrusion detection and physical disk locks. It is the most secure backup solution available.

As for the clusterable architecture:
Yes it does promote offsite storage of backups because the technology is cost effective enough to allow this. We have customers who have one BackupButler on one campus, with a mirrored BackupButler on another campus for disaster recovery needs. Now you can have your complete backup and recovery *infrastucture* offsite, not just a tape.

I'd be pleased to answer any other questions you have.