Re: OT: was What kind of a DBA are you? - what's your poison?

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:54:36 GMT

Joel Garry wrote:
> Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<pxoDa.11304$MM4.1740902_at_news0.telusplanet.net>...
>

>>Nuno Souto wrote:
>>

>>>They held their price like nothing else.
>>>I still regret selling my old model MR2, but they are
>>>totally incompatible with kids and dogs...
>>>There is something about mid-engine cars that makes
>>>them a cut above the rest to drive.

> There's a number of them around socal with Buick V6's crammed in,
> Yee-Haw!
>
> I was a long time (25 years, until 5 years ago) Corvette owner and
> autocrosser. Some stuff on web page, eventually I'll post the whole
> history and some interesting video.
>
> Although I remember the 914-6's in the Vasek Polak window. Next to
> the 917's... someone has a 904 around here they campaign on the
> vintage racing circuit. I'd love to have a late model Targa. A
> friend of mine restored a 356 with a 930 engine...
>
> But now work and family and commuting takes up all time.
>

>>I agree, mid engine is still the optimal IMO, although when I bought my
>>73 I also took a 73 911s for a short ride and was absolutely salivating
>>over the acceleration, the salesman was not much older than me and told
>>me to "see what its got" driving on marine drive in Vancouver so I hit
>>100(mph) and had 2 gears to go yet, then glanced over and the poor sap
>>was as white as a sheet so I backed off. Besides, 12K was to much money
>>back in '78 so I took the 914 for $5800 C$
>>
>>The girls loved it, especially the targa top. But it did make getting
>>past 2nd or 3rd base a little difficult if the opportunity "arose", but
>>with a little imagination, the passenger door open and the roof off the
>>task at hand could be accomplished! ;-)
>>
>>cheers

> jg
> --
> @home.com is bogus.
> Can't believe I have two Chrysler products.

One day I'll get down to Southern Cal and check out all the nice cars, I heard a decent 914 can still be picked up for a decent price. Never seen a 917 up close, somewhere I probably still have my old Mark D / 917 poster, maybe a collectors item now!
At one of the vancouver indys they had a display in the big stadium where I got close to a 904 and 908 - verrrry nice...

Like you said though, families etc.. have severly curtailed the sports car scene for me, one day though... still aways off as my 5 kids are spread enough in ages that I will always have a teenager in the house for the next 17 years without a break :-O

cheers Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 11:54:36 CDT