Re: SQL - filtering data based on AND condition

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 16:46:03 +0200

gospar wrote:
> "Holger Baer" <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de> wrote in message
>

>>PS: I'll get accused of helpfulness, but to get this thread stopped: what

> you need is
>
>>a selfjoin on language_skill.
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but that isn't the solution for my problem (maybe I
> didn't explain my problem quite well?):
> If I use the self-join I must change the FROM clause of my query, and that
> is what I specifically don't want to do (if you look at my initial posting
> you will see that I need to build a query which works for any number of rows
> in LANGUAGE_SKILL and PERSON, and that I want to get my result by ONLY
> changing the WHERE clause of that statement),
> e.g. this IS NOT a solution:
>
> SELECT p.PERSON_ID, p.NAME
> FROM LANGUAGE_SKILL l1, LANGUAGE_SKILL l2, PERSON p
> WHERE l1.PERSON_ID=p.PERSON_ID AND l2.PERSON_ID=p.PERSON_ID
> AND l1.LANG_ID=1 AND l2.LANG_ID=2;
>
> because if I wanted to find a person who speaks 4 languages I would need 4
> LANGUAGE_SKILL tables in my FROM clause, and that is what I want to avoid (I
> should only change my WHERE clause).
>
> Regards,
> gospar

You're of course right, I missed that part. Sorry.

But then, if you had in your original post what you already tried and why this was not working, the answers would have been much more helpful.

I think Phillipe has in his answer what you're after.

Regards,

Holger Received on Thu Jun 05 2003 - 09:46:03 CDT