Re: CASE strucrure in PL/SQL

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 14:00:47 +0400

"Jaap W. van Dijk" <j.w.vandijk.removethis_at_hetnet.nl> wrote in message news:n2gsdv81e7162v0h3fkn5qekb0vq6qmgs1_at_4ax.com...

> From the Oracle 9i SQL Reference Manual:
>
> "CASE expressions let you use IF ... THEN ... ELSE logic in SQL
> statements"
>
> So *not* in an assignment statements as in your example.

SQL and PL/SQL are two different beasts, so quoting SQL Reference for PL/SQL question is not correct, even though they share the same SQL engine in 9i. PL/SQL User's Guide and Reference has its own section on CASE and that assignment statement is pretty valid, just not in 8i, which was OP's source of the problem.