Re: Oracle Version

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 09:15:05 +0400

"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_no.spam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:WopDa.11384$MM4.1756006_at_news0.telusplanet.net...

> perhaps I'm wrong here but I can tell which servers I have applied
> patches to (and to what patchset) by either looking at the version info
> that shows when I log in from sqlplus or just looking at the db version
> info in dba studio under instance-database

That's true for *patchsets*, but not for one-offs (and those Patch N for Windows, where N goes as fifth number in the patch version, are in essense merged one-offs.) For example, I've 8.1.7.4.11 patch (which is actually 8.1.7.4 Patch 11) applied and the version the db shows is still 8.1.7.4.1 (the patchset version.) However, VS_VERSION_INFO shows 8.1.7.4.8 as file version. These patches are not even registered in OUI inventory (at least for 8i) - you simply copy patched files over existing and that's all. Of course, this has to do with the way Windows version of Oracle is built - there's no relink and they have to merge one-offs and build new executables/libs themselves, while on *ix they just release updated object files and you relink them in place (and you need to issue a merge request when you're going to apply more than one patch, because they may conflict with each other.)