Re: Running jobs in job queue immediately

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:00:10 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:vdv1vhl5g5kk13_at_corp.supernews.com...

> "Ryan Gaffuri" <rgaffuri_at_cox.net> wrote in message
> > I want to use my job queue for parallel processing and run up to 36
> > jobs at once. Im using now for stress testing, but in the future I
> > want to run batch deltas from stage to master tables in parallel. For
> > example, I have to do inserts,updates,and deletes on the same table
> > then analyze the table. I want to put the insert,update,and delete
> > algorithm into the job queue and run them all at once, then wait for
> > the job to finish and analyze the table(this is easily done with
> > DBMS_ALERT).
> >
> > right now I am running a script that adds 46 jobs to the job queue. It
> > commits after each job is place in the queue from with in a cursor(im
> > not worried about performance so ignore the commit in the cursor).
> >
> > job_queue_processes = 36
> > job_queue_interval = 60
> >
> > Some of these jobs get executed immediately, some wait and wait to
> > enter the queue even when there are 8-10 jobs running at once. How do
> > I get the queue to hit 36 jobs and add a new job as soon as there is a
> > free process?
>
> Forget about it. I have seen disaster designs like you describe several
> times. My experience tells it is NOT going to work EVER.
> Evidently your are misusing the job mechanism for OLTP purposes.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

its not for an OLTP at all. Its a stress test for an instance we are using for ETL, then tablespace transportation. Its a fairly standard publication model.

Tom Kyte posted on his site that about using DBMS_JOB to parallel create indexes and use DBMS_ALERT to wait until it completes.

I also need it for stress testing the system. We get alot of batch loads at night, I want to run 36 at a time to test the system by using DBMS_JOB. Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 20:00:10 CDT