Re: RAC versus simplistic load-balancing of replicated databases

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 01:57:09 GMT

Kevin Murphy wrote:

> Q: one person referred to a ram disk. This is interesting to me.
> When using a ramdisk, would you try to disable Oracle's buffering as
> much as possible? When would you use a ram disk as opposed to giving
> Oracle tons of buffer RAM?

(I wrote about the RAM disk ...)

My reference to RAM disk was purely based on the fact that the size of your DB is small enough to do so economically.

I do not advocate using RAM disk in this case, because you are using an Oracle environment. The SGA can be sized, and the in-memory constructs can be set to hold the same information as the disks, creating a RAM disk effect, without actually going to the effort of setting that up in the first place.

In your case, a properly tuned SGA & instance and judicious use of Read-only tablespaces should result in next-to-zero disk reads other than the initial query, so RAM disk should be useless.

In other words, totally in accordance with the implications of Sybrand's comment, I believe that tuning, especially at the application level, is by far the more significant way of ensuring your scalability requirement will be met.

(For the sake of argument - the place I'd consider RAM disk would be a well partitioned VLDB with extremely high performance update/insert requirements - create the partition in the RAM disk for the inserts and then use transportable tablespace capability to move the data to an analysis environment.) Received on Wed Jun 04 2003 - 20:57:09 CDT